A Family Tradition Since 1888
Cowper’s Jewellers proud tradition as an independent, family-run business can be traced back to 1888 when the business was established by Thomas Cowper in Newcastle West. Co. Limerick.
In 1911 the business moved to a new premises in Bridge Street where it has remained ever since, passing through the generations and becoming a landmark business in Co.Limerick.
The foundations of our business were laid by Thomas Cowper and later built on by his son John. John, like his father before him, was a watchmaker and goldsmith. He would go on to marry Della Gleeson who became a major part in the business. John Cowper passed away at a young age and Della continued on the family business.
Della married Jack O’Donoghue in the late 1930’s and both were very involved in the community and town of Newcastle West. Della was a successful businesswoman in a time where they were very few female led businesses.
Della’s daughter Eileen would take over the business and worked tirelessly to modernise the business. Throughout this time Eileen was assisted by her aunt Maureen O Donoghue and an incredible staff.
At a time when women in leadership roles were not often seen, Cowpers Jewellers had some amazing women and were all the better for it.
In the early 2000’s Della’s grandson/Eileen’s nephew Kevin O’Donoghue joined the business and they along with a loyal and dedicated staff continue to work together to maintain the practices established by Thomas Cowper in taking great care of their customers.
The traditions and values which led Thomas Cowper to establish the business in 1888 remain the very same today over 130 years on and we can now bring them to a wider audience courtesy of our online store.